Lake Tekapo’s scenery is breathtaking. It’s the combination of the turquoise lake, the exquisite Church of the Good Shepherd, snow-capped Southern Alps and the clear air.
A ski resort in winter, and an aquatic playground in summer, Lake Tekapo also generates hydroelectric power. Water sports, hiking and flightseeing are popular.
Local bird sanctuaries and the Mt John Observatory are well worth a visit.
Where to stay
What to do
- Visit the Mt John Observatory at night
- Soak in a heated pool at Alpine Springs
- Catch some late season snow at one of the adjacent skifields
- Take a photo at the Church of the Good Shepherd
- Hike into the Southern Alps for some spectacular scenery
- From Christchurch by road: 226km