By Bachchat staff
Stretching from Puhoi to Pakiri, the Matakana Coast is dotted with deserted bays, small islands and recreational reserves, and offers some of the finest wines, arts, crafts and visitor attractions in rural New Zealand, all within an hour’s drive north of Auckland.
Every Saturday from 8.00am to 1.00pm the Matakana Village Farmers’ Market offers an array of fresh organic and conventional fruit and produce, pickles and chutneys, fruit cheeses, free range eggs, freshly baked breads, pastries and organic wine. As an emerging ‘slow food’ destination, wineries and other foodie delights are popping up all over the rolling hills.
Where to stay
What to do
- Stock up on local specialties at the farmers’ market
- Snorkel at Goat Island Reserve
- Have lunch at a vineyard
- Go horse riding at Pakiri Beach
- Take the Matakana wine trail
- From Auckland by road: 60km