By Bachchat staff
It sits majestically and picture-perfect in the centre of this region, its profile as sharp as an acrylic painting, surrounded by fertile green pastures.Mt Taranaki is a mere 30-minute drive from just about any town in the region; a utopia for trampers and hikers, skiers and snowboarders.
From a 15-minute jaunt to a five-day around-the-mountain circuit, you will enjoy the clear streams, mystical forests, and breathtaking views.
Mt Taranaki is a very accessible playground, but do take heed of its changeable weather and take adequate provisions for any circumstances.
Roads that climb away from the highway to the mountain lead to the ring of dense rainforest that marks Egmont National Park. In Oakura, visit an artist studio on the arts and crafts trail, and stop for a bite at one of several trendy cafes.
Where to stay
What to do
- Hike the 10-hour return trip to the summit of the mountain
- Visit Uruti Valley, which stood in for an 1860s Japanese village during filming of The Last Samurai
- Walk through the Goblin Forest - an ancient rainforest on the southern slopes of the mountain
- Ski at Manganui Ski Field
- Explore one of the many walking tracks in Egmont National Park
- From New Plymouth by road: 29km
- From Palmerston North by road: 263km